About Me

I am a soon-to-be Momma. I love my plants, my dogs, and home made bread. I adore my boyfriend, and am blessed to know him. I am an Urban Planner by training, Grant Writer by trade.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Beginning Hypnobirthing - 22 weeks!


Ginger Snap This Week (22) 

SPECS at 22 weeks development: ~11" long; about 1 lb! 
Factoids:"This week nerve endings become functional enough so that your baby can feel! She/he may experiment with this new sense of touch by stroking her/his face or feeling other body parts to see how they move. Your baby will form distinct lips. Your baby's eyes will complete formation, although the iris (the colored part of the eye) will still lack pigment."  http://www.gerber.com/pregnancy/growth_and_development/week_22_your_pregnancy.aspx

Mamma This Week

I had a run with bad food a few days in a row this week. Ask anyone - I was a mess. I've always eaten a light diet, with room to eat larger meals here and there and feel great. Not this week. I realize now, more than ever, that what I eat will alter my mood, my energy levels, and my state of mind. I've always been the biggest supporter of no sugar, limited salt, no fast food, not that many carbohydrates, eat what you need, not what you want, etc. In my first trimester, all I wanted was fruit and lemonade. Now, all I want is potato chips, french fries and deep fried sandwiches. It's awful! I finally freaked out and Sam and I went to Robeks - if an entirely berry and peanut butter smoothie doesn't help, nothing will. And I know a ton of people have chided in "go ahead, this is the only time in your life you can eat anything!" Um... not really. This is the only time in my life that I can't eat anything I want. Ginger Snap doesn't need crap. My baby needs nutrients, and a Momma that isn't indulging "just because." So, I'm back steering away from french fries, potato chips and all-things-fried. (But I still want them!) 

Praises for Dad

Ahhh. Sam. What didn't he do this week!? He survived my grumpiness one night when I felt gross because I ate horrible foods all day. He survived another night when I was tired, weepy and missed my dogs. He survived an entire day in the car with me this weekend, and was the cheeriest man in the room at our birthing class. You'd think he'd be cranky after all that - well, we all have our moments, but he was a champ. He is simply encouraging, calming, and joyful. And Ginger Snap has been high-fiving DaddySam lately. Brings us both so much joy! 

Experiences

Check out: http://www.hypnobirthing.com/
Sam and I attended our first birthing class last week. It was awesome. There were about 9 couples in the class, and most of us were pregnant with our first baby. The room was so quiet, and the teacher was very calming. Natural childbirth gets a bad rap, evidently, but this class quelled a lot of preconceived fear regarding labor and delivery. Some methods of natural childbirth are disregarded, and I sense this from the moms that only talk about "the pain." Seriously moms, I think maybe 4 of you have gone out of your way to explain the surreal and euphoric moment of birth. Otherwise, all I hear is complaints about pain. I've never given birth, I've never been pregnant, I'm not comfortable with "just do drugs" and I want my baby to be born in as much of a calm setting as I can prepare. So, is it really that beneficial to feel the need to fill me in on all of your bad experiences?  I've heard some humbling stories from moms that had a natural birth plan set up, and they ended up doing an epidural, or needed a c-section. The key is to be prepared for what this baby needs when it's time to come out. But really, are pumping new pregnant moms-to-be with fear-induced stories regarding "the agony," really that productive? (Also, I realized that the media and medical-arena can be blamed, too.) I'd just much prefer a balanced perspective of hearing about birth! Hearing about the moments thereafter, and the emotional vibe and bonding that occurs. I'm telling you, maybe 4 of you have said something uplifting. So, here's to Sam and I venturing down a different road for the birth experience, because it starts now, and continues until the little baby pops out. You may think I'm crazy. And, I don't care. My baby can hear you, so shhh... only happy stories... and, the more the better!

-Michelle 

3 comments:

  1. Wait, why are you missing your dogs? I hope everything is okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was gone for the day - I was a wreck because I wanted Wywy and Chlo-Chlo. I really love them! They're fine otherwise! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan on doing the same thing when I have a baby--I wanna try to do a water birth. Good luck!! I'll use you as a guide :)

    ReplyDelete